There is nothing worse than throwing a party or a meeting and not having enough food for the guests to eat. Just imagine what that potential client or new employee will think if he or she gets up to the line only to find out there isn’t enough food to go around! To be sure that you order the right amount of food, here are a few simple guidelines to follow:
- More is usually better: Having leftovers is better than having nothing at all. Your guests will appreciate the abundance. Plus, bonus lunch and snacks for the next day!
- Know your guests: If most of your guests are vegetarians, ordering a bunch of meatball appetizers probably isn’t the best idea. Get a good idea of their food preferences and dietary restrictions ahead of time to ensure success.
- Order filler food: Keep everyone satisfied and happy with filler foods such as nuts, appetizers, cheese plates, and fresh baked bread. This is especially important if you are throwing an event with alcohol. Drinking without having food to absorb some of the alcohol can turn into a messy quite quickly.
- Variety is key: It’s not easy to predict what food will be a hit until the event has already begun. Give your guests lots of options to choose from. The more variety offered, the better your chances of impressing the foodies.
Estimate Portion Sizes
- 6 to 8 bites per person: Although not everyone will partake in appetizers, plan on each guest grabbing about 6 to 8 appetizers.
Lunch & Dinner
- 1-2 plates per person: Most guests won’t go for a second plate, but it’s always good to plan for some extra in case anyone is exceptionally hungry that day!
Follow these simple steps and you’re sure to have a memorable party filled with happy guests. Let us know how your next catered event goes!
Still not sure how much to order? David’s Soundview Catering is here to help! From appetizers and sides to main dishes and dessert – you can count on us for catering well-done.