It’s been a popular topic of debate for years - are deep fried turkeys better than traditional roasted turkeys? The answer is rather complex and of course, it depends on a great deal of factors including personal preference. But with Turkey Day just about a week away, we’re going to let you in on a few pro secrets: once you fry a turkey, you may never eat it any other way.
The Pros of Frying a Turkey:
- White meat is more tender
- Dark meat is more flavorful
- The skin will be crispy, not soggy or chewy
- It takes up less space in the kitchen, because it should be fried outside
- It’s faster and more efficient than roasting
- It gives the chef something to do - all you need is to set up a fryer and fill a cooler with beer
The Cons of Frying a Turkey:
- No roasting pan means no drippings which ultimately means no gravy - unless you make the gravy ahead of time
- You need lots of oil - at least 3 gallons worth for a 12-pound turkey
- You need to get rid of the oil after the fact and it CANNOT go down the drain
- You won’t be able to inhale the delicious smells of an oven-roasted turkey throughout the house
- It can be dangerous if you don’t follow proper safety measures
This is David’s Soundview Catering, a premiere catering and events company based in Stamford, CT, serving Connecticut and New York since 1988. Utilizing a palette of fresh, quality ingredients to prepare dishes that appeal to all the senses, David’s Soundview Catering’s talented team of chefs offer an extensive and delicious selection of seasonal favorites and globally inspired cuisine.